11.01.2010

Old school

Did I ever mention that the first two quilts I made - both around queen size - were done entirely by hand? My mom and I worked on the first one together, a Grandmother's Flower Garden, but the second one, a Seven Sisters pattern, was all me. It took FOREVER.

Anyway, I was a die-hard hand-piecer and hand-quilter. After a while, I finally got a sewing machine and started working with it. It was so hard to get used to! I finally did get acclimated, and now do a majority of my piecing and quilting on a sewing machine. I still have a few projects that I decide to hand quilt, but I hadn't hand pieced anything for a long time.

Until tonight. I'm not quite sure where the urge came from, but I was so in the mood to do some hand sewing. I busted out my template plastic, pencil, straight pins, needle and thread.

And here's the result:


I'm not sure if this will be a singular block (potholder, maybe?) or a small quilt or a big quilt, but it was nice to do things the old-fashioned way for a change.

3 comments:

Natalie said...

Boy do I admire your patience for hand piecing/quilting!

Shawn said...

Hey Christy, Kim Delker shared your blog with me, she is my daughter-in-law! Loved looking at your fabrics on your blog. I know what you mean about once in a while just wanting to do hand work! I have an ongoing "Grandmother's flower Garden" that goes everywhere with me. I worked on it in the hospital when my daughter's son was born by emergency c-section, we joked that it was for his wedding day...probably not far from the truth.

Wish i would have had a chance to talk quilts with you at Collin and Kim's wedding, unfortunately I was pretty busy that day.

Shawn Delker

Christy said...

Hi Shawn! You'll have to share pictures of your quilts sometime with Kim to then share with me. I'm always up for a conversation about quilting. Thanks for stopping by my blog!